The Club was formed on October 11, 1946 as the Guilford Sportsmen's Association Incorporated. The Club owns 300 acres of land that is surrounded by Cockaponsett State Forest and Regional Water Company in both Guilford and Madison. Guilford Sportsmen's Association is a private club operating as a 501(c)7 not-for-profit organization under IRS regulations.
Guilford Sportsmen's Association was formed to:
- Bond together sportsmen who are interested in hunting, fishing, and shooting sports from a recreational and ecological viewpoint.
- Assist in assuring more abundant fish for our streams and ponds, and game for our fields and forest.
- Secure and maintain, friendly relations between property owners, and sportsmen.
- Educate the young people, in the concerns of future ecological problems.
- Provide education for the younger generations in the areas of conservation, and ecology for the betterment of our total community.
- Assist on strict observance of laws designed for the protection and propagation of fish and game.
- Promote good fellowship among our members and with other sportsmen's organizations.
Membership is limited to three hundred (300) regular members, and an unlimited number of senior and honorary members. An application for membership must be presented to the membership chairman. The membership chairman will screen the application and present it to the Board of Directors for review and then to the general membership for approval.
Members receive a club key and gate access card to gain access to the clubhouse and range buildings. The spouse of a member has all the privileges of using the club, except has no voting rights.